Based on archaeological excavations adjacent to Central St Martins, the MRC's exclusive new artwork revives the Goods Station Refreshment Club.
From its very beginning, King’s Cross goods yard had a staff food facility – this developed into the ‘Goods Station Refreshment Club’ sometime between 1873 – 1884, continuing to grow in size into the last century.
MRC members have been building a model of this building on the 2mm scale layout, Copenhagen Fields. The prototype building was demolished by 1970, but during recent archaeological excavations, a significant number of remains of Refreshment Club mugs were found, stylishly decorated with red banding and a transfer-printed circular GNR logo.
The Club has had facsimile fine china mugs made with the characteristic banding and motif. They are a good size with a generous handle and ideal for dunking biscuits!
Priced at £9.50 each, details can be found on the club website. All proceeds go towards supporting The Model Railway Club in London.