It seems that holiday time is model railway building time according to Hornby. The recently launched Summertime Layout Challenge is proving very popular.
Launched last week, the competition challenges modellers to build a summer-themed layout.
The challenge isn’t being judged by just anyone either - Pete Waterman OBE and celebrity mechanical maestro Fuzz Townsend will be viewing all layout entry images, with their top three from each category going to a social media vote.
Hornby's Jaimie Gilham, tells us, "We have had a fantastic response to the #HornbyHoliday Summertime Layout Challenge since launching it and can’t wait to see what all the participants come up with! Mike has been busy creating his version of a summertime layout to help give people inspiration and creative layout tips.
The next few months are looking to be filled with lots of exciting layout builds and we look forward to sharing them all with our judges. The winner from each category will win a whopping £1000 worth of Hornby products too, so it’s definitely worth considering entering. All the finer details can be found here."
The rules are simple:
- Create a 52" x 40" (1320mm x 1020mm) summertime themed layout – no height restrictions.
- The layout track plan should be followed as shown.
- The layout must be summertime themed and feature all Hornby products where possible – only Hornby rolling stock to be used. They will accept entries that include scenic products not produced by Hornby, but their products are preferred where possible.
- The layout should be named and a small paragraph of information provided about the design, which can be fictitious or based on an actual location/railway (this information is to be provided at the end of the challenge when the final images/videos are provided). 100 words is advisable, but more is acceptable.
- Creativity to key – Hornby are looking for unique designs, so any arts and crafts that are included will be accepted.
- Images to be provided at each stage which should be clear and in focus. The more images and videos the better!
- The layout must be completed within the set times provided.