The model retailer adds to its range of limited-edition locomotives with a model of 50008 Thunderer, to be produced in BR Laira blue.
Model retailer, DCC Supplies has added to its range of limited-edition locomotives with a model of 50008 Thunderer in N gauge. Expected to arrive in July, 2021 and to be manufactured by Dapol, and produced in BR Laira blue livery, the Co-Co locomotive will join its current limited edition model of 50015 Valiant – the pair often seen together hauling rail tours.
The model will use the new ‘Benchmark’ Electronics and mechanical designs originally developed for Dapol’s Class 68 N gauge model.
Promised features include:
- Smooth running five-pole motor
- All-wheel pickup
- All-wheel drive via re-worked ‘smooth drive’ low-maintenance mechanism.
- Die-cast chassis
- DCC Sound ready, Next-18 decoder socket (recommended six function decoder)
- DCC Controlled independent directional front/rear main lamp control
- DCC Controlled independent directional front/rear cab lighting control
- DC override switches for Independent front/rear and cab lighting control
- Removable self-centring close coupling mechanism with NEM pockets
- Standard NEM fitting N gauge couplers
- RP25 wheels
- Detailed body and fittings
- Printed name plates
- Accessory bag with etched nameplates and detailed buffer beam fittings
- Clip-fit body for easy DCC fitting
- DCC version with factory-fitted Dapol ‘Imperium’ decoder
- DCC sound version available
50008 Thunderer worked its last train in November 1991 and was withdrawn in June 1992. Being surplus to requirements, it was the 46th Class 50 locomotive to be withdrawn after more than 24 years of service. Its engine hours stood at 8,537.
In 2006, the locomotive was purchased by an individual who funded the restoration. It is now based at the DCR site at Washwood Heath, Birmingham and carries the same livery from its final years of service.
For more details including current pricing and availability, visit DCC Supplies' website.
Image copyright English Electric Archive