17 October 2023
Locomotion Models has announced two new OO locomotives that’ll be joining its Railway Icons brand, produced exclusively by Rapido Trains.
Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 No.109
The Highland Railway's 'Jones Goods' Class were a class of steam locomotives, recognised primarily for being the inaugural class to feature a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement in the British Isles.
The Highland Railway subcontracted Sharp, Stewart and Company to construct and deliver 15 'Jones Goods' locomotives, numbered 103 to 117, between September and November 1894. These locomotives held the distinction of being the most powerful main line engines in the country at the time of their manufacture. While primarily designed for freight transport, they frequently found themselves pressed into service for passenger duties, given the substantial variations in traffic volume experienced by the Highland Railway.
The Railway Icons ‘Jones Goods’ model depicts No.109, Works No.4028 in HR Drummond II Green livery, as it ran from 1916-1923.
Both DCC Ready and Sound Fitted versions of this model will be available at £219.95 and £319.95 respectively, and can be reserved with a £30 deposit.
NER Class H 0-4-0T No.898
The North Eastern Railway (NER) Class H, designated as Class Y7 by the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER), constitutes a group of 0-4-0T steam locomotives specifically engineered for shunting purposes.
Introduced in 1888 under the direction of Thomas W. Worsdell, six locomotives of the NER Class H were constructed that same year. Their uncomplicated and unadorned design facilitated easy navigation through tight curves and on substandard tracks. The success of the H class was evident when the NER placed orders for an additional ten in 1891, followed by three in 1897, and an additional five commissioned by the LNER in 1923.
These locomotives featured side bunkers integrated into the side tanks for coal carriage. The design excluded a rear bunker, and the compact cab allowed the driver an unobstructed view of the buffer bar when reversing onto a train. The H Class shared its straightforward domeless boiler design with the H1 (J78) and H2 (J79) classes.
Originally equipped with dumb buffers, the locomotives underwent a change to small round buffers during the 1930s. Some also acquired vacuum brakes during this period, as the initial construction only included hand and steam brakes. Locomotives stationed at Tyne Dock were modified to accommodate shunting poles on each corner, providing the capability to pull a wagon on an adjacent line.
The Railway Icons models shows the Class H in its experimental blue livery, as it appeared in 1903. The painting blue of Class H No.898 was consistent with the adoption of a blue livery for Locomotive Department wagons used in the workshops at that time.
Your weekly World of Railways newsletter
Are you subscribed to our weekly email newsletter? Don't miss the latest news, reviews, modelling advice and competitions.