23 March 2023
Rail operator celebrates as it scoops 'gongs' at the prestigious Cheshire Best Kept Stations awards.
The train operator works closely with community groups and volunteers and it was the efforts of these local heroes that were recognised on the night.
On Thursday March 16, the Cheshire Best Kept Stations event took place, attended by mayors from seven of the Boroughs that constitute the former county of Cheshire, and four town mayors.
Altrincham Interchange in Greater Manchester won the coveted overall winner’s Best Kept Station Award, the first time the top accolade has gone to this station. Romiley station won the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Award for a new garden dedicated to Queen Elizabeth II while Heaton Chapel won the Transport for Greater Manchester Award. Sandbach was named the Best Staffed Station and Goostrey the Best Unstaffed Station. Three further stations were highly commended.
Full list of Northern’s awards:
- Cheshire Best Kept Station Award - Altrincham Interchange while Mouldsworth Station was highly commended in the Cheshire West & Chester category
- Cheshire East Award - Handforth
- TfGM Award - Heaton Chapel
- John Hobbs Award for Excellence, Effort & Endeavour - Reddish South
- Best Staffed Station Award - Sandbach
- Best Unstaffed Station Award - Goostrey
- Best Kept Gardens - Hale and West Kirby were both highly commended in this category
- Avanti Sustainability Award - Disley
- Northern Promoting Rail Award - Holmes Chapel
- Community Rail Network Award for Community Engagement - Rose Hill
- Art Project Award - Woodsmoor
- Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Award - Romiley while Wilmslow was highly commended in this category for its jubilee garden
- Rising Star Award - Alderley Edge
Chris Jackson, regional director at Northern, said: "The event is a celebration of volunteers and the local railway community, who through their incredible skills, passion and hard work, help to brighten up our stations. We’re so grateful to everyone involved, it is their hard work and dedication that makes our stations so welcoming.”
Not signed up? You're missing out! Join our weekly email newsletter. Don't miss the latest news, reviews, modelling advice and competitions.