24 March 2023
Contemporary GWR style platform shelter and platform-mounted water crane new for 'OO', with derelict engine house for 'OO' and 'N'.
Kernow Model Rail Centre has announced the release of new exclusive commissions from Bachmann Scenecraft. A contemporary GWR style platform shelter and a GWR platform mounted water crane have joined its range for 4mm:1ft scale, while its popular derelict Cornish engine house is now back in stock for 4mm:1ft scale and appears for the first time as part the growing KMRC Exclusive range of Graham Farish Scenecraft 2mm:1ft scale buildings.
The following models are now available, exclusive to the retailer:
(42-058Z) Graham Farish Scenecraft Derelict Engine House, 2mm:1ft scale - £26.99
(44-058Z) Bachmann Scenecraft Derelict Cornish Engine House, 4mm:1ft scale - £35.99
(44-001X) Bachmann Scenecraft Contemporary GWR Style Shelter, 4mm:1ft scale - £34.99
(44-183Z) Bachmann Scenecraft GWR Platform Water Crane, 4mm:1ft scale - £23.99
Graham Muspratt, Development Manager said: “The derelict Cornish engine house was very popular in 4mm:1ft scale and sold out some time ago. It has been much requested hence producing a third batch, and it was a natural choice to also be part of our new expanding range of N Gauge Exclusive Graham Farish Scenecraft buildings.”
Its new contemporary GWR style platform shelter is based on that at Penryn, but is a standard design used through Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset. It includes a separate bench. GWR water cranes, as per the new KMRC Exclusive, could be found throughout the Great Western Railway network on station platforms for steam locomotives to use. Water cranes and columns were provided with fire devils for use in winter to prevent the water from freezing inside the apparatus.
The derelict Cornish engine house returns in 4mm:1ft scale and is now available for the first time in 2mm:1ft scale. It is based on Baronet's Engine House at Pennance Mine. Pennance Mine lies in the Gwennap Mining District and is situated on the southern slopes of Carn Marth, due south of the converted quarry that is now 'Carn Marth Open Air Theatre'. Formerly known as Wheal Amelia, the area was worked by tinners as early as the 17th century.
The mine continued to extract copper until about 1873, raising 147T of medium grade copper ore in its final year of production. Pennance will always be classed as a small mine, the tin sold between 1870 and 1872 coming mainly from tinstuff rather than the more usual black tin. The slump in the price of copper in 1866 and the opening of new tin fields overseas sounded the death knell for Pennance Consols and it closed in 1874. Between 1880 and 1881 the sett was reworked under the name of East Buller.
Not signed up? You're missing out! Join our weekly email newsletter. Don't miss the latest news, reviews, modelling advice and competitions.