04 March 2021
Marking the third run of this North American model by the Colorado-based manufacturer, new features on its tank wagons include two new road names, including Spokane Portland & Seattle (SP&S), Northern Pacific (NP) and new colour bands for the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe (AT&SF) railroad.
San Juan Model Co. has delivered new variants of its General American Tank Car (GATC) Welded Tank Car to its American Limited brand. The division of San Juan Model Company, produces right of way structure and diaphragm kits alongside ready to run products for HO standard gauge model trains. Ten 'major' variants of its GATC 'cars' are being made available (52 in total), across three different railroads. Models feature road name and era-specific details. These include:
- Multiple walkway variants; 'as-delivered' – high walkways with body-mounted handrails, 're-built' with walkways cut and safety handrails lowered to bottom sides of cars
- As-delivered Bettendorf trucks,or later modernised roller bearing 70T trucks with animated spinning bearing caps
- Wagons are to be equipped with either a conventional or lower shelf coupler per prototype
The AT&SF versions have six major paint schemes for various commodities. On the prototype, each commodity received a different colour band applied to the end of the tank. Versions being offered are as follows:
- Orange band car journal oil service with 1970s Santa Fe logo lettering
- Reclaimed diesel fuel service with 1970s Santa Fe logo lettering
- Orange/white band solvent service early lettering
- Gray band diesel fuel service with 1970s Santa Fe logo lettering
- Yellow band gasoline service early lettering
- Grey band diesel fuel service early lettering The SP&S and NP versions reflect both 'as-delivered' and 'post merger' eras
A group of the NP tank cars were assigned to the Montana Rail Link with additional service assignment lettering 'ASSIGNED TO MTRL. MGR. INTERBAY WASH.'
San Juan Model Company, based in Arvada Colorado, designs and produces model railway components, kits, decals, and accessories for modellers. Under the leadership of lifelong modellers Bob Stears and Doug Junda, it has consolidated several modelling companies including San Juan Details (formerly Grandt Line), Leadville Shops, San Juan Car Co, San Juan Decals, Railgraphics, and American Limited.
For current pricing and availability, visit the American Limited Models website.
Are you subscribed to our weekly e-mail newsletter? Don't miss the latest news, reviews, modelling advice and competitions.