30 September 2022
Plans for RTR vans and a GWR 'Toad' made public by the Chirk manufacturer during the Severn Valley Railway's O gauge event.
Models of the GR 'Mogo' and SR 12T ventilated vans are to be added to Dapol's growing range of RTR rolling stock. The 'Mogo' had a 12T capacity and was fitted with end doors and wheel bars to allow a motor car to be loaded and transported in a goods train, hence its telegraph code 'Mogo'.
Early Mogo vans had planked bodies but were later constructed with ply body sides. Dapol's models are to be priced at £51.40 and are expected to be delivered in Q2, 2023. Models will feature a die-cast compensated chassis, brass bearing pockets, a detailed injection-moulded body, many separately-added fine details, sprung metal buffers, plus, sprung metal coupling hooks with Instanter or screw-link couplings where appropriate. Models will be available in a choice of liveries and are to be vacuum-fitted, as follows:
- (7F-068-001) Great Western ‘Mogo’ Grey 126342
- (7F-068-002) Great Western ‘Mogo’ Grey 126336
The 12T SR Van is the standard Southern Railway goods van with a 10ft wheelbase and distinctive elliptical roof. About 1000 fitted vans were built 1936-38 with even planked sides, the SR later built uneven planked versions as well as ply-sided vans later in their construction history. Dapol is to manufacture the even planked version of these vans in the following guises:
- (7F-069-001) Southern Railway 12T Van Grey 48977
- (7F-069-002) BR Southern 12T Van ‘Parto’ 549091
Meanwhile, its sights on manufacturing the GWR 'Toad' brakevan for 'O' are confirmed, with CAD almost complete and models expected to arrive in Q4, 2023. With an RRP of £94.00 each, the following guises are proposed:
- (7F-300-001) GWR Toad Brake Van Grey 56683 Diagram AA15
- (7F-300-002) GWR Toad Brake Van Grey 68684 Diagram AA15
- (7F-300-003) GWR Toad Brake Van Grey W17953 Diagram AA15
- (7F-300-004) GWR Toad Brake Van Grey Unnumbered Diagram AA15
- (7F-300-005) GWR Toad Brake Van Grey 114925 Diagram AA19
- (7F-300-006) GWR Toad Brake Van Grey W68673 Diagram AA20
- (7F-300-007) GWR Toad Brake Van Grey 17410 Diagram AA21
- (7F-300-008) GWR Toad Brake Van Bauxite W17445 Diagram AA21
- (7F-300-009) GWR Toad Brake Van Bauxite W17390 Diagram AA21
- (7F-300-010) GWR Toad Brake Van Bauxite Unnumbred Diagram AA21
After World War One in 1918, more 20T vans to the improved design were built with GWR self-contained buffers and given Diagram AA15. A total of 378 were built between 1918 and 1927. The next development was the AA19 which were built between 1927 and 1931 incorporating many RCH parts such as buffers and axleboxes but utilising the same body. The total constructed was 221 vans. Diagram AA 20 followed which was externally identical to the AA19 vans with a total of 354 being built between 1934 and 1943. The Diagram AA21 was for 100 vacuum-fitted vans built 1939/1940, with vacuum brake gear with the brake cylinder in the front of the brake veranda.
GWR Toad AA15 Overview CAD
GWR Toad AA15 Overview CAD (later Build)
Dapol's models will feature a die-cast compensated chassis, plus:
- Finely-profiled wheels and axles with brass bearing pockets
- Highly-detailed injection-moulded body
- Full interior detail
- Many separately-added fine details
- Sprung metal buffers
- Sprung metal coupling hook and Instanter or screw-link couplings where appropriate
- A choice of liveries
- Vans are vacuum-fitted where applicable
For further details, on the above models, or to place a pre-order, visit the Dapol website, or see your local stockist.
Subscribe to our weekly e-mail newsletter for the latest news, reviews, modelling advice and competitions.