06 October 2023
Dapol has produced an all third, a composite and a third brake coach, which will be the perfect companion to the Dapol 61xx Prairie and has shared the latest images of the new models, which are due to arrive next month.
Due to the number of coaches being produced, Dapol has elected to split the production process into two. The first three sets (set numbers one, three & six) will be shipped in about two weeks, and it is expected that these models will be in shops towards the middle of November. Dapol is currently waiting for a confirmed date for the second half of the production run.
GWR Lined Crimson
Twin City Lined Chocolate & Cream
- Injection moulded body with bolection window mouldings and frosted Toplight windows
- Separate metal door and commode handles
- Wire end hand rails and separately applied end communication details
- Correct number of roof ventilators depending on the prototypical period being modelled
- Detailed chassis with vacuum tanks, battery boxes and brake linkages
- 9ft bogie bolster with diecast side frames and split axles for electrical pick up
- Detailed interior with period-specific decorations being applied
- Kinematic couplings with NEM pockets including special coupling bar to give close coupling
- Coaches capable of negotiating R2 radius curves
- Sprung metal buffers
- Internal lighting and directional tail lamp
- Optional DCC-fitted with a six-pin decoder such as the Dapol Imperium Five.
- Heavy Diecast chassis
You can now pre-order the new models from Dapol stockists, costing £64.80 DCC-ready.
The under frame of the diecast chassis is not left wanting for detail either with braking apparatus, including the vacuum tanks, battery boxes and more on show.
The first order for these coaches was placed in 1915, but due to the First World War, they were not built until 1920. The second batch was completed in 1921. Six sets of coaches were produced with a set comprising six coaches. The coaches were close coupled and constructed with a steel body rather than the traditional wooden paneling. Due to the restrictive loading gauge of the London underground tunnels, the carriages are 7 inches lower than other contemporary carriages of the time. This enabled them to travel directly to Aldgate and Liverpool Street, on the Metropolitan Underground system.
The coaches were originally used for commuter traffic from the likes of Reading and Windsor into the City of London. At the start of World War 2, this service was curtailed. However, after the Second World War and into BR days, the coaches could be found on services much further afield.
The coaches started to be removed from revenue-earning service in December 1956, and all had been removed by December 1957. There was only one significant change made to the design during the lifetime of the coaches, which was the removal of one roof ventilator from each compartment.
In 1958, two brake third coaches and one all third coach were converted into workmen's coaches for the miner's service between Glyncorrwg and North Rhondda Halt, this was a former branch line of the South Wales Mineral Railway. The main changes were the addition of an extra window at the end of the guard's luggage area and the fitting of a gong to the same end of the coach. This makes coaches 3755, 3756 and 3910 the last three coaches in service. 3755 is fully preserved at Didcot Railway Centre with 3756 being partially restored.
Your weekly World of Railways newsletter
Are you subscribed to our weekly email newsletter? Don't miss the latest news, reviews, modelling advice and competitions.