Line to reopen after Carlisle freight derailment

06 December 2022
Giant vacuums used to remove 80T of powdered cement from three wagons, ahead of return of traffic to Carlisle – Newcastle, and Carlisle – Skipton lines.

Passengers will once again have direct trains between Carlisle and Newcastle and Carlisle and Skipton from next week after the routes were closed by a major freight train derailment.

Railway engineers are putting the finishing touches to complex repairs at Petteril Bridge junction after several wagons of a train carrying powdered cement came off the track seven weeks ago.

Network Rail has released latest footage from the site where a new reinforced-concrete bridge deck has been poured ready for tracks to be reinstated this weekend so trains can run again from Wednesday December 7. Huge damage was caused to a Victorian-built railway bridge, railway lines and signalling equipment during the incident on Wednesday October 19. Since then the railway has been closed in both directions – impacting all services on the Tyne Valley line between Carlisle and Newcastle and the Settle to Carlisle line between Carlisle, Appleby and Skipton. More than 25,000 hours of work has taken place to get the railway restored so trains can run again.

Phil James, Network Rail’s North West route director, said: “I’m sorry to passengers who’ve faced much longer journeys over the last seven weeks while we carried out our emergency railway repairs. I know how frustrating rail delays can be on people’s lives and we’ve worked tirelessly to get the routes restored as quickly as possible.

“This has been a very complex recovery and repair job. When it’s complete this major railway junction will be better than new and will provide more reliable journeys for passengers and freight for years to come.”

Content continues after advertisements

Over the last seven weeks forensic rail accident investigators have assessed the cause of the derailment, recovering the locomotive and 11 of 14 wagons carrying powdered cement soon after the incident. Giant vacuums removed 80T of powdered cement from three wagons which needed lifting by a huge crane. A crane rated at 800T recovered the wagons which ended up in the water and on the embankment.

Environment Agency experts made sure no contamination entered the river Petteril. Eighty metres of damaged track was replaced, with 400m of cabling installed for signals and points. Two switches were replaced, with 125T of structural concrete poured into 16T of metal reinforcement cages to repair the damaged railway bridge over the river.

The work took 25,000 hours, over 40 people working 12-hour days, 7 days-week, for 7 weeks. Train services are due to resume from start of service on Wednesday December 7. In the meantime, rail replacement buses will continue to be in operation to keep passengers on the move, with people urged to plan their journeys on the National Rail website.


No comments