31 October 2022
Following the release of its first powered model, the Irish manufacturer looks set to raise standards further with these new units.
Irish Railway Models has announced the Irish Rail 220000 Class Intercity Railcars in OO gauge / 4mm:1ft scale as its next powered model.
Following on from the success of its A Class locomotives, IRM has been looking to make a big statement with its second powered model. While locomotives, especially diesels, have become well-served on the Irish scene, railcars have been a poor relation.
IRM commented, "[We] felt it was time to take up the mantle and provide a model of the most numerous train which can be seen around the country today. Doing the Rotems justice requires doing it 'the IRM Way', so a wonderful mix of the variations, formation lengths and high-quality detail and finish has been built into the models which will find their homes on your layout. Irish Rail has played a pivotal part in this model, granting IRM access to the fleet at their HQ at Portlaoise Traincare Depot on a number of occasions to measure up and surveyed the prototypes."
CAD design is complete and tooling is under way. IRM expects first samples by the Bangor and Wexford shows in April/May 2023, decorated samples by Autumn 2023, and modellers should take delivery of the railcars in Q2, 2024.
IRM added, "[We] are aware that the cost of living has gone up in recent times, so have fought to keep the prices as keen as possible. Railcars are a complete train, basically a high-specification locomotive and some coaches."
Prices are as follows: DC/DCC-ready sound three-car: €349.99, four-car: €429.99, six-car: €579.99. DCC factory-fitted sound models are to be priced as follows: three-car: €472.99, four-car: €552.99, six-car :€702.99.
Six-car packs also get a free unmotorised bonus model of the Sculfort locotractor used to shunt the real ICRs around the Portlaoise works. Models will only be available to buy direct via IRM, and made in limited quantities, so early ordering is advised. Ordering for Ireland and rest of world is through the IRM website, while UK customers can pre-order via the Accurascale website.
The IRM models are being designed to feature the following specification:
- Highly detailed three-, four- and six-car railcar sets depicting the life to date of the 220000 class railcars
- The Driving Cars (DRBFO and DMSO) are supplied with optional extended magnetic front mounted Voith couplings, to allow for authentic multiple set working
- The Driving Cars (DRBFO and DMSO) are fitted with poseable front fairings at the front
- Detailed die-cast underframe with all cylinders, battery boxes, cabinets and piping applied separately
- Eroded metal, plastic and wire detail parts, including (but not limited to) roof detail, handrails, door handles, lamp brackets, brake gear, brake discs, draw gear, vents and louvres
- Prism-free flush glazing
- Directional lighting, with full range of lighting options for day/night running and shunting/yard configurations
- Full passenger interior lighting in all vehicles, set at correct colour temperature, with hidden stay-alive capacitors, pick up from one bogie and a reed switch to control on/off via a magnetic wand
- Separate cab lighting configurations
- Close coupled gangways, that will be maintained over curves via kinetic couplings
- Driven car will feature five-pole skew wound motor with twin flywheels for optimum performance while also maintaining passenger saloon detail, with no blocking of windows by unsightly motor enclosure
- Die-cast metal chassis with plastic body. Target weight of 650g for the motorised driving car
- Wheelbase of 209.97mm, for all vehicles, allowing operation over a minimum radius of 438mm (2nd radius set-track)
- Metal helical gears fitted for maximum performance and slow-speed running
- Gearing arranged so drive car can achieve a scale maximum top speed of 100 mph (161 kmh), as a six-car unit
- DCC ready with PowerPack capacitor for uninterrupted power
- Un-motored (or dummy) cars, but retain full lighting features, being DCC ready with PowerPack capacitor for uninterrupted power
- Operable Central Door Locking (CDL) lights on bodyside
- DCC factory fitted sound option available on all variants with ESU Loksound 5 sound decoder
- Permanently fitted speakers mounted in both types of DMSO and DRBFO
- All sounds recorded exclusively for Irish Model Railways by its in-house sound engineer
Ordering for Ireland and rest of world is through the IRM website, while UK customers can pre-order via the Accurascale website.
Free Ticket to Warley
Subscribe to BRM Magazine and receive 6 issues for just £19.99 PLUS a free ticket to Warley National Exhibition 2022.