17 November 2023
It was the largest and most powerful steam locomotive ever to run on British rails and you’ll soon be able to add this iconic locomotive to your collection.
Heljan has revealed its plans to produce the LNER’s ‘U1’ 2-8-0+0-8-2T Beyer-Garratt in time for the centenary of the prototype in 2025.
Using original works drawings and photographs, Heljan has designed models covering the entire career of the locomotive, including the various modifications it underwent over its 30-year life. These include changes to the smokebox, water tank breather pipes, coal bunker, handrails, cab and additional vacuum tanks.
Also included is a model depicting the locomotive after conversion to oil firing, which saw modifications to the former coal bunker, the addition of a turbo generator for the electric headlight and associated pipework/cable runs.
- Twin Motor/Flywheel Drive
- Working LED lamps
- 21-pin DCC interface
- DCC Ready and DCC Sound options
- Factory fitted speakers
- Coal or oil-fired options
- Sprung buffers
- Removable cab roof
- Smoke unit compatible
- NEM couplings
- Separate pipework and cable runs
The model is currently in tooling and Heljan expects to receive the first working samples for review in January 2024, with first releases planned for early-2025 priced at £399.00 for DCC Ready versions and £520.00 for DCC Sound models.
A special edition for the ‘Railway Icons’ collection is also planned and will depict No. 2395 in works grey, as it appeared at the LNER’s S&DR centenary cavalcade shortly after completion in 1925. This special collectors’ edition will feature bespoke packaging plus DCC Ready and factory-fitted DCC Sound options and production will be strictly limited. Early ordering is strongly recommended to avoid disappointment.
LNER Stockton & Darlington Centenary Cavalcade Grey No. 2395. Photograph courtesy of National Railway Museum (LNER official portraits)
- 3000 LNER lined black No. 2395 (as built) DCC READY
- 30003 LNER lined black No. 2395 (as built) DCC SOUND
- 3001 LNER Stockton & Darlington Centenary Cavalcade Grey No. 2395. RAILWAY ICONS EXCLUSIVE - DCC READY
- 30013 LNER Stockton & Darlington Centenary Cavalcade Grey No. 2395. RAILWAY ICONS EXCLUSIVE - DCC SOUND
- 3002 LNER 1946-48 unlined black No. 9999 DCC READY
- 30023 LNER 1946-48 unlined black No. 9999 DCC SOUND
- 3003 British Railways black No. 69999 DCC READY
- 30033 British Railways black No. 69999 DCC SOUND
- 3004 BR Early Emblem black No. 69999 (coal-fired) DCC READY
- 30043 BR Early Emblem black No. 69999 (coal-fired) DCC SOUND
- 3005 BR Early Emblem black No. 69999 (oil fired/headlight) DCC READY
- 30053 BR Early Emblem black No. 69999 (oil fired/headlight) DCC SOUND
No. 2395 famously made its public debut at the LNER’s celebrations to mark the centenary of the opening of the Stockton & Darlington Railway in 1925.
For 30 years, the ‘U1’ was deployed on arduous banking duties on the infamous inclines at Worsbrough near Barnsley, and Lickey Incline near Birmingham. Although not always popular with those who worked on it, No. 2395 (BR No. 69999) was by some distance the largest and most powerful steam locomotive ever to work in Britain.
Are you subscribed to our weekly email newsletter? Don't miss the latest news about our shows, reviews, modelling advice, competitions and more.