12 May 2023
Revealed at the GWSR Cotswold festival of steam this weekend, manufacturer tools for Churchward heavy freight locomotive.
A '2883' 2-8-0 fresh from repair, outside Swindon Works. BEN BROOKSBANK
Dapol has revealed exclusively to WOR that it is to create models of the GWR 28xx/2884 2-8-0 locomotive for 4mm:1ft scale. A Dapol Exclusive model of 2874 in conjunction with The 2874 Trust is also announced. Models are expected Q4, 2024 at the following RRPs: DCC ready - £189.99, DCC fitted - £224.99, DCC sound-fitted - £299.99.
Neil Morrlle, Marketing Manager for Dapol said: "We will be making a financial donation to the trust for each completed sale of our exclusive model of 2874 in conjunction with The 2874 Trust.
- 4S-009-001 28xx / 2884 2831 Lined Great Western Green
- 4S-009-002 28xx / 2884 2804 Great Western Green
- 4S-009-003 28xx / 2884 2854 Great Western Green
- 4S-009-004 28xx / 2884 2884 Shirt Button Green
- 4S-009-005 28xx / 2884 3819 GWR Green
- 4S-009-006 28xx / 2884 3802 BR Early Emblem Black
- 4S-009-007 28xx / 2884 2851 BR Late Crest Black
- 4S-009-008 28xx / 2884 2874 Great Western Green
Neil continued: "Many original GA drawings were used in the development of these accurate and authentic models. Building on the many developments from our 'Mogul' and 'Manor' Class models including our award-winning slide-in PCB in the boiler for tool-free DCC fitting and sugar cube speaker enclosure (for sound models), a conductive drawbar providing tender wheel pick-up and connections for high bass speaker will also be included.
The GWR prototype 2-8-0 locomotive 2800 (originally No. 97) was built in 1903 and underwent two years of trials before further production began which resulted in 84 of the class being built. The design was in advance of its time and this class and the slightly modified 2884 class were built from 1903 until 1942. They remained the standard freight design on the GWR for the rest of the Company’s existence and were used on the heaviest freight trains.
The locomotives are expected to have the following specification:
- Die-cast compensated chassis
- Detailed cab interior with screw reverse
- Front pony truck is sprung and operates on a cam so the model will negotiate R2 curves with ease
- Churchward top feed boiler
- Original and later Boiler support/motion bracket
- Churchward (vertical drop) & Collett (curved drop) Footplates
- Churchward (tapered) & Collet (Straight) sprung buffers
- Smoke boxes with inside or outside steam pipes
- GWR & BR smoke box doors (with separately added number plate)
- A slide in PCB offers ‘tool-free’ installation of a Next-18 DCC decoder and a ’no-solder’ speaker connection. This board slides through the smoke box door and connects directly to the locomotive mother board.
- The tender to locomotive drawbar includes electrical connections moulded within the close-coupling push-fit coupling. This eliminates wired plugs and wiper-style connections
- The locomotive and tender have electrical pick-up on all driving and tender wheels
- An optional base reflex speaker can be fitted into the tender. An audio frequency filter is integrated within the main locomotive PCB to ensure each speaker reproduces within its ideal frequency range
- Firebox glow (synchronised with sound)
- Dapol’s slow-speed mechanism and high-torque motor
Missing the latest news from World of Railways? Join our newsletter today and let the news come to you!