13 September 2022
CAD and tooling well-underway on new models promised for 2mm:1ft scale, plus updates on forthcoming models.
Dapol has made public its plans to produce scale models of the iconic British Rail 'HST' and GWR 2-6-0 'Mogul', both for N gauge. The new model announcements were made at The International N Gauge Show, held at Warwickshire Event Centre on September 10 and 11.
CAD images of its forthcoming 'Mogul' have been released and are subject to minor modifications, while its 'HST' has already reached tooling stage, with first engineering prototypes currently under review.
GWR 2-6-0 'Mogul'
Dapol's model has reportedly made use of many original general arrangement drawings in the development of its model in a bid to make "accurate and authentic models." Its specification promises a die-cast chassis with a coreless motor driving the rear wheels. The centre driving wheels and front pony truck is sprung, while the latter operates on a cam, allowing the model to negotiate R2 curves. Suggested prices are DCC ready: £170.00, DCC fitted: £205.00 and DCC sound-fitted: £280.00.
To portray the locomotives over their lifetime, the following details have been drawn up:
- Die-cast boiler, footplate and chassis, with split frames for live bearing pick-up
- Smokebox with/without cylinder steam pipes
- Churchward Taper buffers
- Collett Straight Shank buffers
- Tall vacuum pipe for early version
- Lower vacuum pipe for later period
- Tall safety valve cover
- Short safety valve cover
- Smoke box top-mounted lamp bracket
- Smoke box door-mounted lamp bracket for BR period
- Smoke box number plate for BR period
- Highly-detailed cab interior
The models are to be specified as follows:
- Blackened nickel plated die-cast driving wheels
- Brass bearings
- Plastic keeper plate with brake shoe/linkage details
- Sprung centre driving wheels
- Wheels to NMRA standard
- Pick-up from locomotive driving wheels and tender
- Coreless motor
- Tender body to be easily removable
- Space for sugar cube speaker in tender
- DCC ready with provision for a NEXT-18 decoder in the tender
- Locomotive to tender with electrical connections for motor and locomotive pick-up via pin and socket vertically mounted under the cab
Models announced are as follows:
- (2S-043-001) 2-6-0 Mogul 6336 Green ‘Great Western’
- (2S-043-002) 2-6-0 Mogul 6385 Green Shirt Button
- (2S-043-003) 2-6-0 Mogul 7301 Green GWR
- (2S-043-004) 2-6-0 Mogul 6324 Black Early Crest
- (2S-043-005) 2-6-0 Mogul 6364 Green Early Crest
- (2S-043-006) 2-6-0 Mogul 7310 Green Late Crest
Also revealed at the show, its 'HST' is to be modernised to depict the Class 43 during its British Rail service use without later light modifications. Dapol previously released models of the prototype HST for the scale, and so is well-versed in their intricacies and history.
The new diesel-electric outline model for N gauge is to be compatible with its previously-manufactured range of Mk. 3 rolling stock, and is also to be made available as a complete 11-car set, with options for modellers seeking to depict the eight modified Class members fitted with buffers to work trains on the East Coast Main Line in conjunction with the Class 89 and 91s.
Dapol has identified a correction to its roof headlight which will require alterations to the tooling, and the manufacturer is awaiting updated samples and artworks. Models are expected to arrive with its stockists in 2023.
Twin power-packs of the models with a DCC-ready RRP of £230.00 each are as follows:
- (2D-019-013) Class 43 HST Blue/Grey ER E43079 & E43079 Set 254012
- (2D-019-014) Class 43 HST Intercity Swallow Livery 43120 & 43039
- (2D-019-015) Class 43 HST Midland Mainline 43066 & 43077
- (2D-019-016) Class 43 HST Cross Country 43285 & 43321
With an RRP of £170.00, the following twin-packs are to be offered:
- (2D-019-204) Class 43 HST Grand Central Twin Pack 43480 & 568 (buffers)
- (2D-019-205) Class 43 HST Virgin Twin Pack 43080 (buffers) & 43091 (No buffers)
Meanwhile, (2D-019-300), a full 11-car train set in Pullman Blue is also proposed with an RRP of £495.00.
The specification of models is as follows:
- Finely detailed body with many extra fitted items
- Five-pole 'super creep' motor with controllable slow-running speed
- All-wheel drive and pick-up
- Directional lights
- Light bar-ready coaches
- Accessory bag with optional fitted parts
- Extensive range of previously-produced coaching stock also available