25 November 2022
Popular variant of standard BR AC electric to join the Heljan range in 2023.
A third variant of Heljan's OO gauge Class 86 has been announced, for release in 2023. In response to public demand, a Class 86/2 will join its recent ‘AL6’ and Class 86/4 locomotives in its range for the scale.
Two versions will depict the 100mph passenger/parcels ‘86s’ in late-1970s to mid-1980s guise prior to the addition of headlights/TDM cables and for the late-1980s onwards with high-intensity headlights and TDM cables. The latter will be available with either Faiveley or Brecknell-Willis pantographs.
This all-new model has been produced in response to strong demand from OO gauge modellers of AC electrics and provides a perfect companion to our earlier Class 86s. Eight liveries will be available on general release via Heljan stockists, with a further special edition of 86235 Novelty in ‘Rainhill 150’ livery available from Gaugemaster stockists as part of its ‘Gaugemaster Collection’. Suggested retail price is £254.95.
Standard features will match the demanding requirements of today’s OO gauge modeller, including a 21-pin DCC interface, LED lighting with independently switchable tail light function, provision for DCC sound, sprung buffers, highly detailed underframe and bogies and more.
Models proposed are as follows:
- GM4240304 BR ‘Rainhill 150’ Blue 86235 Novelty GAUGEMASTER COLLECTION ERA 7
- 8621 BR Blue 86253 The Manchester Guardian ERA 7/8
- 8623 InterCity Executive 86204 City of Carlisle ERA 8
- 8630 InterCity Swift 86238 European Community ERA 8
- 8631 Virgin Trains Red/Grey 86240 Bishop Eric Treacy ERA 9
- 8633 BR Electric Blue 86259 Les Ross ERA 9
- 8634 EWS Red/Gold 86261 Rail Charter Partnership ERA 9
- 8635 Colas Railfreight 86701 Orion ERA 9
- 8636 Anglia Railways 86260 ERA 9
Engineering prototypes are expected in the UK for review in early-2023 and the manufacturer hopes to deliver the first batch of Class 86/2s in late-2023.