08 February 2023
Kernow Model Rail Centre reveals CDA China Clay hopper wagon commissions for 7mm:1ft scale.
A new exclusive range of O gauge CDA China Clay hoppers has been commissioned through Dapol by retailer, Kernow Model Rail Centre. The CDA hoppers are synonymous with the current China Clay Scene within the South West.
Kernow Model Rail Centre's detailed CDA models are being produced by Dapol and are based on its HAA model with the additional CDA rolling roof and operating mechanism added. The models feature a detailed and accurate body and chassis, sprung metal buffers, sprung metal coupling hook and metal screw-link coupling, with fine profiled wheels running in brass bearing pockets. Initially, fourteen livery versions cover the CDA hoppers entire working life to date, priced at £74.95 each, are available:
- (7F-048-KER1) CDA Wagon Blue, ECC branded. As Built 1987 to 1990s No. 375029 - Era 8
- (7F-048-KER2) CDA Wagon Blue, ECC branded. As Built 1987 to 1990s No. 375031 - Era 8
- (7F-048-KER3) CDA Wagon Blue, ECC branded. As Built 1987 to 1990s No. 375080 - Era 8
- (7F-048-KER4) CDA Wagon, Blue non ECC branded. Mid 1990s No. 375030 - Era 8/9
- (7F-048-KER5) CDA Wagon, Blue non ECC branded. Mid 1990s No. 375022 - Era 8/9
- (7F-048-KER6) CDA Wagon, Blue non ECC branded. Mid 1990s No. 375062 - Era 8/9
- (7F-048-KER7) CDA Wagon, Blue non ECC branded. Mid 1990s No. 375015 - Era 8/9
- (7F-048-KER8) CDA Wagon, Maroon EWS Branded. Late 1990s to mid 2000 No. 375037 - Era 9/10
- (7F-048-KER9) CDA Wagon, Maroon EWS Branded. Late 1990s to mid 2001 No. 375088 - Era 9/10
- (7F-048-KER10) CDA Wagon, Maroon non branded. 2010s No. 375008 - Era 10
- (7F-048-KER11) CDA Wagon, Maroon non branded. 2010s No. 375085 - Era 10
- (7F-048-KER12) CDA Wagon, Maroon non branded. 2010s No.375082 - Era 10
- (7F-048-KER13) CDA Wagon, Maroon DB Branded. 2017 onwards No. 375009 - Era 11
- (7F-048-KER14) CDA Wagon, Maroon DB Branded. 2017 onwards No. 375003 - Era 11
British Rail introduced a fleet of 125 CDA hoppers to carry china clay from Kernow/Cornwall in 1987. Built at BREL Doncaster works and based on the HAA 'Merry-Go-Round' coal hopper wagons, the CDAs had the addition of a rolling roof, and associated operating mechanism, to protect the china clay being carried inside.
A further batch of 15 were converted from existing HAA hoppers in 1989. The CDAs replaced a number of older designs of smaller open-end tipper ‘clayhood’ wagons. Much of the traffic was destined for export through the docks at Fowey, but also to Staffordshire (for use in pottery) and Scotland (primarily for paper mills).
The wagons have been operated by British Rail for English China Clays Plc (ECC), English, Welsh & Scottish Railway (EWS) and many continue in operation on their original duties for their current operator, DB Cargo.
Chris Trerise, Managing Director, said: “With the CDA hoppers being an integral part of the Kernow China Clay scene since 1987, it was an obvious gap in the O gauge market for KMRC to fill by commissioning these models in partnership with Dapol.”
If you're not signed up, you're missing out! Join our weekly email newsletter. Don't miss the latest news, reviews, modelling advice and competitions.